It’s more than just another blogging day at here Healthy Midwestern Girl—it’s a vegan blogger extravaganza! November is ‘National Peanut Butter Lovers Month’ (who knew?) so today, I’m bringing you an appetite-inspiring lineup of 11 vegan peanut butter recipes–starting with a hearty, warming Sweet Potato Peanut Stew from yours truly.
Then, keep scrolling for more delicious vegan peanut butter recipes from talented bloggers across the web. Some are sweet, some savory—and the entire collection is gonna make you want to get in the kitchen and get busy with this versatile pantry staple.
1. Healthy Midwestern Girl Sweet Potato Peanut Stew
One of my favorite oil-free, gluten-free vegan peanut butter recipes, this Sweet Potato Peanut Stew delivers all the health benefits of sweet potatoes and tomatoes, plus the creamy-yummy richness of peanut butter.
You probably already know that sweet potatoes are a good source of fiber, vitamins, minerals and beta-carotene. But did you know that cooked tomatoes provide 4x more lycopene than raw, so that even tomato juice has more health benefits than raw tomatoes? (Just watch out for sodium.)
This sweet potato peanut stew is truly zen in a bowl. I love the cozy, comfort it brings on a cold, dreary day, especially during Wisconsin winters, when there are time I want to crawl under the a big pile of blankets and not come out until there’s sun again.
Every time I eat this comforting sweet potato peanut stew, it warms me from the inside out, from my head to-ma-toes.😄 I bet it’ll do the same for you!
A warm, comforting stew that's like zen in a bowl. It's tangy, creamy, hearty and chock-full of beneficial nutrients.
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic smashed and minced
- 2 inch knob ginger peeled and finely diced
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes 1/2-inch diced (about 2 large sweet potatoes)
- 1 quart tomato juice
- 1 28 ounce can whole San Marzano tomatoes LIQUID RESERVED, diced or smashed with a potato masher (see notes)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened creamy, natural-style peanut butter (or, 1/2 cup if desired - see notes)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Optional: Chopped cilantro chopped roasted peanuts, and lime wedge for garnish
- Optional: Cooked whole grain or whole grain/lentils blend.
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of water over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and sweet potatoes with a pinch of salt. Saute for 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Add water a tablespoon at a time if things begin to stick.
Add the tomato juice and tomatoes, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Add the peanut butter, cumin and cayenne pepper, and stir well to dissolve the peanut butter into the stew. Simmer another 5-10 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
In the pot, mash some (but not all) of the sweet potatoes with a potato masher or large fork. Add the chopped spinach, and stir to mix it into the hot stew. Simmer, covered, 2-3 minutes or until the spinach is wilted. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
Optional: Serve over brown rice, quinoa, or my favorite--2/3 brown rice + 1/3 brown or green lentils, cooked together in a rice cooker (or pot).
Optional: Garnish with chopped cilantro, chopped roasted peanuts and lime wedge.
- Peanut butter is plant-based but high in fat, so it's best to limit in your diet. I cut back on the peanut butter if I'm planning to garnish my stew with peanuts.
- I prefer to use whole tomatoes, as canned diced tomatoes contain a chemical (to keep them from dissolving), which alters the flavor. Also, I find there's no match for the flavor of San Marzanos, so I always use them. Chopping whole tomatoes can make a mess! To avoid this, I empty the whole can into a large bowl and break them up them with a potato masher.
More Delicious Vegan Peanut Butter Recipes
Check out these scrumptious vegan peanut butter recipes from some very talented food bloggers. Whaddya say, shall we get in the kitchen and get busy with peanut butter?
2. Elephantastic Vegan – 5-Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola
3. Rhubarbarians – Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge
4. Nutriplanet – Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
5. This Healthy Kitcnen – Peanut Butter Hummus
6. Vegan Blueberry – Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
7. Woman in Real Life – Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch Bars
8. Plant Based Recipe – Spicy Thai Peanut Noodle Soup
9. From Thyme & Love– Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
10. Plentyfull Vegan – Peanut Butter Brownies
11. From Healthy Helper – Low-Fat Peanut Butter & Jelly Muffins