I love lazy Sunday afternoons for cooking up elaborate dishes. But like just about everyone, during the week I’m looking for dinners that come together quickly and easily. Of course, they have to be healthy and tasty, too. For those busy nights, these Sweet Potato Tacos with Roasted Cumin have got it all going on!
In this recipe, all of the ingredients cook up together on two sheet pans. (Technically, you could get away with one, but the vegetables won’t really roast unless they’re spread out.) There are only SIX ingredients here, not the counting salt and oil. And if you can find sweet potatoes already diced (I found these at Whole Foods), you can cut down the prep time even more.
STORY ALERT! Okay, I can’t think about “pre-cubed” anything without remembering the Thanksgiving that Hemant volunteered to do the shopping. I’d written out the grocery list assuming I’d be going to the store myself, so there weren’t any special “husband notes,” if you know what I mean. When I came home, there was a whole squash sitting on the counter. I said, “Hey, I wrote ‘pre-cubed squash’ on the list. What’s this?” He answered, “That is pre-cubed. It hasn’t been cubed yet!” ?
What makes these tacos SO yummy? Roasting whole cumin seeds (right on the sheet pan!) lends a distinct, earthy note to the filling and complements the sweetness of the potatoes. (I’ve made this dish with cumin powder, but I SO much prefer the texture and flavor of the whole seeds here.) The poblano peppers and cayenne add the right amount of heat and just looking at the pretty colors in these sweet potato tacos gets my appetite going!
I like a hearty blue corn tortilla best for these tacos, along with a side of black beans. To top them off, roasted tomatillo salsa, guacamole or lime crema are all fantastic options to add creaminess without overwhelming the the tacos’ subtle roasted flavors. Finally, I like to finish them off with a little fresh cilantro and lime.
Next Taco Tuesday, why not pull out your sheet pans, grab some pre-cubed sweet potatoes and give this one a try!
Sweet Potato Tacos with Roasted Cumin
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes, 1/2 inch diced (about 3 large sweet potatoes)
- 2 poblano peppers, 1/2 inch diced
- 1 cup red onion, 1/2 inch diced (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil (use water if oil free)
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 soft tortillas I like blue corn tortillas with this recipe
- Cilantro and fresh lime for serving
- Inside Out Guacamole for topping
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large bowl, toss together the diced sweet potatoes, red onion, poblano peppers, grapeseed oil (omit and use water if oil free), whole cumin seeds, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray. Spread the veggies out evenly on the baking sheets. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the sweet potato is just cooked, turning halfway through.
- Scoop the veggie filling into tortillas, garnish and top with your choice of toppings and serve!