There are plenty of vegan egg salad recipes out there. Most of them use vegan mayo, which usually contains oil, or use tofu to simulate the eggs, which is fine but lacks fiber. I wanted to create a simple, whole food, plant-based Vegan Egg Salad—and this is that!
How to Make Chickpea Salad Whole Food, Plant Based
In this recipe, chickpeas bring the fiber to the party, while celery gives it a little crunch. Nutritional yeast and kala namak—or Indian black salt, which is actually pink!—lend a pretty authentic eggy texture and taste. I highly recommend you don’t skip the kala namak. It’s inexpensive, and you can find it at an Indian grocery or order it on Amazon. And without it, it won’t really taste eggy.
The nutritional yeast in this recipe also helps give it a slightly yellow color. Since the main cream element is avocado, it’s definitely more of a yellow-green than a true yellow. But hey, that’s a small price to pay for healthy, plant-based eggless salad recipe in my book.
I recommend about ½ a good size avocado for this recipe. You can add more if you like it creamier, but even though avocados are a healthy fat, we don’t need more than about 10% of our calories to come from fat overall. So I’ll usually add in a bit of aquafaba at the end, and only up the avocado if it’s still not quite creamy.
What I Love About this Vegan Egg Salad
I love vegan egg salad when I’m in a rush to make a healthy lunch. You can literally pull this together in 5 or 10 minutes and in just one bowl.
It’s delicious on toast–I’m obsessed with high fiber, no refined sugar, sprouted grain breads. And I especially like to use it as a topping for salads. No dressing needed, just a few heaping dollops of vegan egg salad. Which is great, because I don’t get around to making salad dressings very often.
Vegan egg salad—yet another reason you don’t have to feel deprived eating whole food, plant based.
If you like this whole food, plant-based recipe, you might also like:
- Avocado Pea Mash
- Smashed Black Beans & Avocado Toast
- Roasted Tomato Jam Crostini
- Scallion Cashew Cheese Vegan Quesadillas
- Simple Chickpea Salad with Lemon Aquafaba Dressing
I LOVE hearing from you! It would make my day if you’d be so kind as to:
- Follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
- Rate this recipe and/or leave a comment. (Under the recipe picture or below the recipe.)
Thanks and happy, whole-food cooking!
Vegan Egg Salad
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas (no salt added) LIQUID RESERVED (or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1/2 avocado diced (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 celery ribs finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon kala namak (Indian black salt) or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon aquafaba/reserved chickpea liquid or more as needed reserved liquid
- Place all of the ingredients except the aquafaba in a medium mixing bowl, and mash together with a large fork or potato masher. Don't over mash--you want the chickpeas a little chunky. Add aquafaba a little at a time to moisten to desired consistency.