When I get sick—which isn’t often since I switched to a whole food, plant-based diet—I usually crave soup. This Vegan Spinach Soup with Ginger Broth is a healing vegetable soup that’s light and comforting–with its vegan ‘chicken’ broth, stomach-soothing ginger, and just enough spinach to boost your immune system and help get you back on your feet.
I had been making this soup for years, but only realized what an easy, healing vegetable soup it is one spring, when I was down-and-out with a particularly nasty virus. Living alone at the time, I needed something quick and easy I could make for myself.
My sister offered to shop for me, and since the basic version of this vegan spinach soup has just three ingredients, it was a quick trip to the store–once I talked her through where to find the fresh ginger.
Why I Love this Vegan Spinach Soup
I love this healing vegetable soup because it’s light, delicious and comforting, whether you’re sick or perfectly healthy. It can be made with fresh ingredients or with stuff you keep on hand in the pantry and freezer. This is especially helpful if you don’t have someone to cook or run to the store for you.
I also love that you can make a truly satisfying version of this vegan spinach soup with ginger broth with only three ingredients. Or add sliced mushrooms and scallions, minced garlic, rice noodles or the cooked whole grain of your choice–and you’ve got a heartier, but still quite light and soothing soup.
A Healing Vegetable Soup in 10 Just Minutes
The basic version of this vegan spinach soup with ginger broth—the one I recommend if you’re feeling really unwell—only takes about 10 minutes total. I’ve even included my ‘neat-and-lazy’ method for chopping fresh spinach, because the last thing you want to do when you’re unwell is be on your feet in the kitchen.
Even if you choose the optional add-ins, you can still pull this healing vegetable soup together in about 10 minutes with very little effort. Doesn’t that make you feel better already?
If you like this whole food, plant-based, no oil recipe, you might also like:
- Lemony Lentil Turnip Chowder
- Lemony Sweet Corn Chowder
- ‘Everything’ Vegan Gazpacho
- Quick & Easy Vegan Collard Greens
Vegan Spinach Soup with Ginger Broth
- 4 cups fresh pre-washed spinach leaves (or 3 ounces chopped frozen)
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root peeled and minced (See notes. Sub 1/2 to 1 tablespoon jarred, or 1/4 teaspoon ground if desired)
- 4 cups Vogue Cuisine Reduced Sodium Vegetarian (and vegan) Chicken Base (or other low sodium veggie broth -see notes)
- Sea salt to taste
- Optional: 2 teaspoons cornstarch to thicken
Optional add ins:
- Optional: Sliced Mushrooms
- Optional: Sliced Green Onions
- Optional: Minced Garlic
- Optional: Brown Rice or Rice Noodles or other whole grain
- Heat 1 tablespoon of water in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the minced ginger with a pinch of salt, and saute about 1 minute, or until ginger becomes fragrant.
- Add the hot broth, increase the heat to high to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer 5 minutes. (Simmer longer if you want a more intense ginger flavor. If using chopped frozen spinach, add it now.)
- If using fresh spinach, while the broth and ginger are simmering, place the spinach leaves and 1 tablespoon of water in a microwave safe dish, cover, and cook on high for 2 minutes. Then simply cut the spinach with a fork and butter knife. Remove any stems, if desired, then add it to the soup.
- Optional: To thicken the soup, while the spinach is cooking, ladle about a cup of broth 2 teaspoons of cornstarch into a bowl, and whisk completely until there are no lumps. Add the mixture back to the pot.