Since I published my Vegan Portobello Mushroom Burger with Cheddar Sauce recipe a few weeks ago, I’ve been having all kinds of fun finding ways to use the Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce in recipes. So much so that I decided this incredibly tasty and versatile sauce deserves its very own page on the blog! Now, you can bookmark this recipe and come back to it whenever you need an authentic, satisfying vegan cheddar cheese fix.
What I Love About This Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce
I love this vegan cheese sauce because it’s not that plasticky stuff you buy at the store that calls itself vegan cheese. This sauce has a complex, convincing cheddar flavor and a texture that’s nothing but rich and creamy. Plus, there’s no oil here, so it’s perfectly ‘whole food, plant-based, no oil’ compliant.
When you make this sauce according to the recipe, it’s smooth and saucy–perfect for mac ‘n cheese or for dolloping on a burger. But cook it gently over medium-low heat for a few minutes, and it thickens up nicely into a spread you can use in a quesadilla or on a sandwich.
The flavor and the ingredients in this sauce are similar to my Vegan Easy Cheezy Sauce. The addition of tomato paste, smoked paprika and Worcestershire sauce lend that unique cheddar profile. Just make sure you buy vegan Worcestershire, as the regular variety contains anchovy paste.
How to Make Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce
I also love that this vegan cheddar cheese sauce is so very simple to make. All you need are 10 ingredients, about 5 minutes and a blender. It helps to soak your cashews first, but if you have a high speed blender, you can even skip this step if you’re in a hurry. Your vegan cheddar cheese sauce will still come out smooth and silky.
So skip that plasticky store-bought stuff made with oil, and whip up this 5-minute homemade vegan cheddar cheese sauce. And watch for more recipes on the blog using this delicious vegan cheese sauce–coming soon!
If you like this whole food, plant-based recipe, you might also like:
- Vegan Easy Cheezy Sauce
- Vegan Portobello Mushroom Burger with Cheddar Sauce
- Scallion Cashew Cheese Quesadillas
- Kid-friendly Red Quinoa Tacos
- Mini Taco Cup Appetizers
- Healthy Twice-Baked Potatoes
Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup cashews soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 3/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a blender, combine the soaked cashews, veggie stock, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, salt, onion powder, garlic powder. Process on high until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the blender from time to time.