Remember that yummy Vegan Peanut Butter Recipe collection I brought you last month? Well, just in the nick of time, here’s another appetizing lineup of 11 vegan holiday recipes–starting with my Vegan Brussels Sprouts Salad with oil-free citrus vinaigrette, chopped pistachios and orange-infused cranberries.
Then, keep scrolling for 10 more delicious vegan holiday recipes from talented bloggers across the web. Some are sweet, some savory—and the entire collection is guaranteed to satisfy everyone gathered ’round the holiday table this year.
1. Vegan Brussels Sprouts Salad with Oil-free Citrus Vinaigrette, Pistachios and Orange-infused Cranberries
This bright and fresh vegan brussels sprouts salad–in fact, the very dish pictured here on my Great Grandmother’s antique china–is the dish I served to my non-vegan extended family on Thanksgiving. And it was a huge hit!
It’s not often that a salad can compete with holiday table fare like mashed potatoes and gravy (vegan, of course!), stuffing, baked sweet potatoes (this year, I made Whiskey Maple-glazed Sweet Potatoes–recipe coming soon!) and the like. But my Mom couldn’t stop oohing and aahing over this vegan brussels sprouts salad! Even my son who normally doesn’t care for salad thought it was really good.
What I love about this Vegan Brussels Sprouts Salad
The shaved brussels sprouts have a nice, crisp texture that holds up well when dressed, which is especially helpful when entertaining since you can make it ahead without the salad getting limp. I made it early in the day (and photographed it!) then put it in the fridge for several hours with no problems.
And I really love the oil-free citrus vinaigrette I made especially for this vegan brussels sprouts salad. It’s bright and lively with the tang and slight sweetness of lemon and orange, and gets just a bit of bite from the shallot. The miso and almond butter add a hint of richness and balance the acid of the citrus without resorting to oil–but stay nicely in the background where they belong.
The finishing touches on this vegan brussels sprouts salad–the bright, fresh mint, crunchy pistachios, and barely-sweet orange-infused cranberries–elevate this to a ‘next level’ side dish worthy of any special occasion.
So when you’re combing through all those vegan holiday recipes this year, don’t be afraid to volunteer to bring the salad!
Vegan Brussels Sprouts Salad with Oil-Free Citrus Vinaigrette
Oil-Free Citrus Vinaigrette (makes about 1/2 cup - see notes)
- 1/2 large orange juiced and zested (or one small orange--about 3+ tablespoons of juice)
- 1 lemon juiced and zested (about 3+ tablespoons of juice)
- 2 teaspoons almond butter
- 2 teaspoon miso
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 large shallot finely diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts cleaned and ends removed
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves chopped (reserve some whole leaves for garnish if desired)
- 1/2 cup pistachios chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
To make the vinaigrette:
- Mix all of the vinaigrette ingredients except the lemon zest and orange zest in blender, and process until well blended.
- Pour the vinaigrette into a bowl or plastic container, and whisk in the lemon zest and orange zest.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill and allow the flavors to blend, for at least 30 minutes.
To make the orange-infused cranberries:
- Bring the orange juice to boiling in a sauce pan, stir in the dried cranberries, remove from the heat, and allow to sit for 15-25 minutes or until the cranberries are soft.
To make the salad:
- Shave the brussels sprouts using your food processor's fine slicing blade, or by hand using a mandoline slicer.
- Place the shaved brussels sprouts in a large bowl, add the chopped mint leaves and half the chopped pistachios, and toss together. Pour the citrus vinaigrette over the salad and toss well to coat.
- To assemble, place the salad on large serving platter or individual dishes, and top with the remaining chopped pistachios and cranberries. Garnish with reserved whole mint leaves if desired.
More Vegan Holiday Recipes Goodness
As promised, here are 10 more gorgeous, sweet and savory vegan holiday recipes from some very talented bloggers I’m so grateful to work with! Check out this food–you’re sure to find something special to grace your holiday table this year.
2. Vegan Blueberry – Vegan Cream Cheese Ball
3. Rhubarbarians – Orange Cranberry Mimosa Holiday Mocktail
4. Nutriplanet – Vegan Gingerbread Cake
5. This Healthy Kitchen – Seriously the Best Vegan Lasagna
6. Woman in Real Life – Peppermint Candy Cane Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
7. Very Vegan Gal – Holiday Baked Vegan Cheese with Guava Swirl
8. Thyme & Love – Vegan Sausage Stuffed Dates
9. Baked by Clo – Vegan Candy Cane Truffles
10. Plant and Vine – Vegan Spinach Kale Dip
11. Healthy Helper – Smokey White Bean Puree (Mashed Potato Alternative)